2 October 2006

"It's all happening..."

I am here. I am actually, finally, definitely in the Motherland. CRAZY!

The trip over was ok...despite two overweight bags in Cleveland (oh, how I miss my ripped jeans) and a disaster involving a cash machine in Newark. I'm safe; that's what really counts, yeah? Oh, and p.s., I love flying Virgin Atlantic. What can I say? I'm a sucker for packaging... : )
Settling in has pretty much been a breeze-- many thanks to my new housemates Tim and Jamie. I stayed up my whole first day here, even though I hadn't been able to sleep on the plane; so that helped switch my body's sleep schedule quickly. I've been able to do sort of "practice" days with Olyvia, seeing as Tim and/or Jamie has been home every day since I arrived, but tomorrow is my first REAL nanny-ing day. I'm not very nervous, though, because I've decided that Lyvi is the happiest baby in the history of the world. No, really. She is. On a related note, Wednesday is her first birthday! "Yay, Lyvi!" [insert Olyvia clapping for herself here. She likes to do that.]
I felt my first twinges of loneliness yesterday. It's not that I wish I was back in the States, it's just...I don't know. I want to go exploring the area, but I don't feel quite comfortable doing that on my own just yet. It makes me wish I was a guy! If I was a big, strong man NONE of this would be an issue. BOO on you, second X chromosome! [sigh]
On a much lighter note, I spent a WONDERFUL afternoon with my aunt and two cousins that I haven't seen in YEARS. We went out for a lovely lunch at Pizza Express, and then walked around Hempstead Heath. Listening to my [formerly] little cousin Laurin talk about getting bouquets from boys (yes, Laurin, I brought it up AGAIN...I told you, I'm just jealous.), and having "Baby Megan" stand taller than me made me feel OLD. It doesn't feel good, and I've heard it only gets worse... Well, regardless of how out of touch I felt, I still had a fantastic time. One of the things I am most looking forward to about being over here is that I can finally get to know my extended family! And if today was any indication, it'll be the best experience of my life...

3 Comments:

At 6:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becs!
I'm so jealous...I LOVE Virgin Atlantic!! I love the little gifty bags they give you and the double decker planes...Sounds like you're going to have an amamzing time...The girls sound like total cuties...So when you find that british bloke to take you exploring I WANT TO KNOW ALL ABOUT IT...I have to live vicariously through someone! Ohhhhh have I mentioned how jealous I am?! Have tons of fun and send me one of those uber touristy "mind the gap" patches!! I lost the one I had in highschool...anywhoooooo Love you and have tons of fun and keep us updated on your life chapter 2 LONDON NANNY [hey dont shake any babies or feed an infant hot dogs!]

 
At 12:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are also glad to know you are there loving and caring for our dear little one. Can't wait to see you again, and especially that little cutie pie! Blessings!
Lyvi's Pap and Grandma

 
At 7:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you never did confess your undrying love for me before you left the country... *sniffles*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home